POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Writing Corner [WIP] (68KB) : Re: Writing Corner [WIP] (68KB) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Writing Corner [WIP] (68KB)
From: Darren New
Date: 11 May 2009 11:15:41
Message: <4a08411d$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> schreef in bericht
>> On old typewriters, the carriage return was often on the left.
>
> 'often'?! I would say 'always',

The lever could be on either side.  At this point, I don't even remember
which side eventually became standard. I haven't touched a typewriter in 3+
decades... :-)

Left:
http://adaptablearts.com/media/3/20080607-Typewriter%20009%20800x600.jpg

http://www.mrmartinweb.com/images/type/gourlandside.jpg

Right:

http://www.screenplayshootout.com/images/antique_typewriter.jpg

http://www.hrtyrergalleries.com/images/172.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/3169211586_b4fd4dd7fa.jpg

http://www.worldcollectorsnet.com/antiquetypewriters/Caligraph%202s.jpg

This looks like what I had. :-)

http://www.harrisoncountyky.us/publications/images/image-of-an-antique-typewriter.jpg

Eventually one side was standardized on, and I think it was the right side,
and people were taught to put the handwritten thing they're copying on the left.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)